Veritas Storage Foundation 6.x for Unix: Administration Fundamentals
The Symantec Storage Foundation 6.x for UNIX: Administration Fundamentals course is designed for the IT professional tasked with installing, configuring, and maintaining Symantec Storage Foundation (SF) environments, including Volume Manager (VxVM) and File System (VxFS). This four day, Instructor led, hands-on class covers how to install and configure Symantec Storage Foundation. You learn how to manage disks, disk groups, and volumes by using a variety of SF user interfaces including the Veritas Operations Manager (VOM) Web console. You can also learn about the basics of online file system administration and how to recover from disk failures. Hands-On This course includes practical lab exercises that enable you to test your new skills and begin to transfer those skills into your working environment.
AudienceThis course is for UNIX system administrators, system engineers, technical support personnel, network/SAN administrators and systems integration/development staff who will be installing, operating, or integrating Symantec Storage Foundation.
PrerequisitesKnowledge of UNIX system administration.
- Operating system storage devices and virtual data storage
- Volume Manager storage objects
- VxVM volume layouts and RAID levels
- Preparing to install Storage Foundation
- Installing Storage Foundation
- Storage Foundation resources
- Storage Foundation user interfaces
- Preparing disks and disk groups for volume creation
- Creating a volume and adding a file system
- Displaying disk and disk group information
- Displaying volume configuration information?
- Removing volumes, disks, and disk groups
- Volume layouts
- Creating volumes with various layouts
- Allocating storage for volumes
- Administering mirrored volumes
- Resizing a volume and a file system
- Moving data between systems
- Renaming VxVM objects
- Benefits of using Veritas File System
- Using Veritas File System commands
- Logging in VxFS
- Controlling file system fragmentation
- Using thin provisioning disk arrays
- Managing components in the VxVM architecture
- Discovering disk devices
- Managing multiple paths to disk devices
- How does VxVM interpret failures in hardware?
- Recovering disabled disk groups
- Resolving disk failures
- Managing hot relocation at the host level
- CPI enhancements
New Features and Enhancements in SF
- Support for caching on SSDs
- VxVM enhancements
- DMP enhancements
By the completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Install and configure Symantec Storage Foundation.
- Configure and manage disks, disk groups, and volumes.
- Administer file systems.
- Monitor VxVM tasks and change volume layouts to improve performance.
- Identify types of disk failures and how to resolve them.
- Describe the SmartIO feature for caching on SSDs.