Veritas NetBackup 8.0 Advanced Administration
Acquire the skills to make your data protection strategy successful with the Veritas NetBackup 8.0: Advanced Administration course. You will learn advanced NetBackup topics, including NetBackup performance, disaster recovery, application backups on physical and virtual machines, virtual machine accelerator backups, and security. This course also covers using NetBackup to manage Oracle, Microsoft Exchange, Microsoft SQL, and Microsoft SharePoint database backups.
Hands-On This course includes practical hands-on lab exercises to apply your new skills in a virtual NetBackup domain. At the start of class students will choose between Windows-based or Linux-based NetBackup servers to perform lab exercises.
AudienceThis course is intended for technical professionals responsible for the design, configuration, operation, monitoring, or support of NetBackup.
Students should be familiar with general network and storage concepts, and the administration and configuration of Windows or Linux operating systems. Students must also have one to three years of experience with basic NetBackup administration, configuration, and operation. These prerequisites can be met by attending any version of the NetBackup Administration course plus additional on-the-job experience.
Reviewing NetBackup Concepts
- Understanding the NetBackup environment
- Using NetBackup Administrative interfaces
- Using NetBackup in an enterprise environment
- NetBackup performance overview
- Addressing performance issues
- Managing True Image Restore and synthetic backups
- Managing FlashBackup backups
- Using Network Resiliency
- Disaster recovery strategies
- Protecting the NetBackup infrastructure
- Introduction to Auto Image Replication
- Configuring Auto Image Replication
- Monitoring Auto Image Replication
- Managing and maintaining Auto Image Replication
- Recovering the NetBackup infrastructure
- Controlling media servers used for restores
- Restoring from a replicated and imported image
- Understanding MSDP architecture
- Improving deduplication backup performance
- Optimizing deduplication restores and rehydration
- Protecting the MSDP backup data and catalog
Managing NDMP Backups
- Introduction to NetBackup for NDMP
- Preparing for NDMP backups
- Configuring local NDMP backup
- Configuring remote NDMP backups
- Preparing for NDMP backups
- Protecting a NetApp cDOT NDMP filer
- Understanding application needs
- Database backup and restore concepts
- Customizing generic application backups
- Introduction to the Oracle database
- Configuring Oracle database backups
- Monitoring and maintaining Oracle database backups
- Oracle database disaster recovery considerations
- Introduction to Microsoft SQL Server
- Configuring SQL Server Intelligent Policies
- Monitoring SQL Server database backups
- SQL Server disaster recovery considerations
- Introduction to Microsoft SharePoint Server
- Configuring NetBackup for SharePoint policies
- SharePoint disaster recovery considerations
- Introduction to Microsoft Exchange Server
- Configuring NetBackup for Exchange
- Exchange and high availability environments
- Monitoring and maintaining Exchange database backups
- Exchange disaster recovery considerations
- Protecting virtual machines with applications
- Using NetBackup Accelerator for virtual machine backups
- Restoring individual VDMK files
- Understanding security concerns in a backup environment
- Securing NetBackup port communication
- Encrypting NetBackup data
- Configuring NetBackup with access control
- Auditing NetBackup
- Understanding security certificates
- Using the cloud with NetBackup
- Configure NetBackup cloud storage
- Managing NetBackup cloud storage and cloud backups
ObjectivesBy the completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Improve NetBackup performance by addressing bottlenecks, tuning NetBackup buffers, and becoming familiar with NetBackup performance enhancing features.
- Prepare for common disasters and plan for disaster recovery using optimized duplication, Auto Image Replication, and MSDP catalog protection policies.
- Describe requirements for backing up third-party applications and databases.
- Configure NetBackup to back up and restore Oracle, Microsoft Exchange, Microsoft SQL, and Microsoft SharePoint databases.
- Discuss strategies for Oracle, Microsoft Exchange, Microsoft SQL, and Microsoft SharePoint database recovery.
- Configure, run, and manage backups for applications running in virtual machines.
- Configure accelerator for VMware virtual machines.
- Ensure your NetBackup environment is secure using encryption, auditing, authentication, and authorization.